3/25/10

Lucullan Adventures Vol.1 4th Edition

The Husband has been at work super late as of this week, so I've taken the adventuring into my own hands. 

Behold,  The Fruits of my Labor:

MARYLAND PEACH AND BLUEBERRY PIE from Baking



The Ingrediants:

-two pie crusts
-7  peaches, peeled and sliced
-1 cup blueberries
-3/4 cup sugar
-2 Tbsp lemon juice
-1/4 cup flour
-1/8 tsp nutmeg (I doubled this)
-a generous dash of cinnamon (which I added)
-1/2 stick butter, cut into pieces

The Business:

Confession- I used store bought pie crusts.  I did re-roll the top one but they are store bought none the less.  Could I have made them myself?  Yes.  Did I want to do all the clean up involved in making pie crust? No.  Moving on...

1.  Prick the bottom pie crust with a fork, then pop into the oven until it dries, about 8-10 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
2.  While the pie crust bakes, mix your fruit, sugar, lemon juice and flour together in a medium sized bowl. 
3.  Fill the bottom pie crust with the filling.  Dot the filling with the butter slices (which I totally forgot to do...we'll see what happens..)
4.  Cut desired top crust as you wish.  Whet the bottom crust with water or milk, then gently lay the top over the pie using the rolling pin method.  Using a fork or your fingers, squish the two crusts together, joining them.
5.  Wash the top crust in either milk or egg, depending on the finish you want (I always use milk for a shiny crust).  Dust with Sugar if desired.
6.  Bake the pie at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes, or until golden brown.
7.  Let cool for 15-20 minutes.



The Outcome:

ck:  What makes it a "Maryland" Pie I wonder?  Anyway... My thoughts.  The crust was good!  Maybe a wee bit dry but that could just be due to overbaking.  The filling was also good, though the butter might have pushed it up to great.  It need a little saltyness.  The blueberries were the best part.  I usally don't like blueberries, but this was a major exception. I've never quite figured out how to keep juicey pies from leaking out of the steam vents.  Advice?  4.5/5
Che:  De-lish! (he licked the plate clean)  4/5

0 comments:

Post a Comment